Let's get started!

Initializing...



Monday, February 06, 2006

Brian Eno is ...




I really like Brain Eno. There is just something refreshing about him. Don't get me wrong...at times, he fails. At times...I can't even fathom what he is attempting. When he gets it right though, he patches into some primordial need for sine waves. It's strange, but at least for me...very true. For those of you not familiar with Eno, check out Another Green World for starters.

And, as a bonus, here is a great quote...

"One very strong thing that I can remember was a real decision that I took when I was nine, which was probably my first really important decision. I can remember my father coming home from work as he always did-- he always had to work lots of overtime in order to get enough money, because the job wasn't well-paid. I can remember him coming home from work and just falling into a chair and going to sleep because he was so tired he couldn't even eat, and I thought, 'The one thing I'm never going to do is get a job.' I saw that it was a trap, because he was so tired and so exhausted on every level that he was never going to be able to do anything else but get up the next day and go to work. It turned into a distinct avoidance thing for me, because I never wanted to be in that position. That thought never left me: in fact, I've never had a job in my whole life, except once. When I say a job I mean something you do for somebody else to earn money, not because you want to do it. And I did have one job like that once. I did design and layout on a newspaper. It was an advertising magazine that was distributed free to a million homes. I didn't hate it. I became very successful at it. I started off at the bottom, doing a very menial job, and in the four months I was there I got promoted again and again and again, and I ended up earning four or five times as much as I'd started with, and sort of running the office. And then I realized that I could carry on doing that and never do anything else, because I wasn't doing anything else. And I kept saying to myself, 'Oh well, I'll do some music this weekend,' and then I wouldn't, I'd be too tired and I'd say, 'Oh, I'll do it next weekend,' and then I wouldn't do it, so I just gave it up after a while. It was exactly what I knew a job would be like--not horrible enough to make you want to get out, just well-paying enough to make you comfortable and to keep putting things off.

You can read the article that comes from here.