Let's get started!

Initializing...



Thursday, December 30, 2004

I don't get it.

This article is about an FBI probe into a laser beam being directed into the cockpit of a plane.
CLEVELAND - Authorities are investigating a mysterious laser beam that was directed into the cockpit of a commercial jet traveling at more than 8,500 feet.
I don't get it. How does someone on the ground direct a laser beam with such accuracy as to be able to point it through the relatively small windows of a plane which is 8000 ft up in the air and I would assume some distance away? And not only that, they are suggesting that the point would be to blind the pilots - requiring even far more accuracy and a pretty clear view into the plane. The cockpit doesn't seem like a car where the pilots are right up there and can see the road, or in their case the air. It seems as though the pilots are pushed back a bit. Assuming someone with this death laser could see into the window, it just doesn't even seem like they could see the pilots from the ground as it would be a really really bad angle.



I really don't get it. I understand there must be some kind of equiptment they are using, but I would like to understand how it works. It just seems like bullshit to me. Outlandish in fact. If someone understands this, please explain. Or, if you find any web sites which describe what is going on in detail, please post it. Wouldn't it be more plausible that someone is lining up a shot with some kind of laser scope - like to launch a rocket. I don't know why I am even theorizing. This all seems like some crazy way of instilling fear into people. If you can make them believe the most absurd things are possible, it's easier to get them to believe that simple things like bombs are even more possible.