Let's get started!

Initializing...



Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Let's all do the Google crawl

This one is for Gravity Boy because he was wondering about it. I made it a regular post though because others may find it useful and I wanted to include links.

Gravity Boy in an earlier post from today (yesterday actually)...

"Google may be complex but it can't find my web address for shit!"


I knew it had something to do with sites containing links to yours. I don't know if it's the number of sites that matters or not. But apparently it must have done something because your site does come up - sort of, through the link from the other site). The other part of it I know is something to do with how you code your web page. You can do certain things (I think one of the big ones is specifying keywords in your code) to give it a higher priority - meaning it will be first, or at least higher up in the list when Google returns the results.

I couldn't remember all the specifics. I found this. It should explain how the Googlebot crawls for new/updated pages. I didn't read the whole thing because I need to go to bed, but I'm pretty sure from scanning it that it explains it pretty fully. Also, if you do a Google search for google crawl how works or just google crawl, you will find a bunch of information on Google and I think also on configuring your code to be picked up better. Also, I almost forgot...on the google guide site I first mentioned, it has a link or talks about another way to get listed by submitting your site to Google. If there is a link, use it...if not, go to Googles help page and there is a link to submit your site. Apparently this is a waste of time though as the googlebot seems to control most of it.