Let's get started!

Initializing...



Friday, February 18, 2005

Sonic CD



time travel

Sonic CD was touted as a master piece when it originally came out. It had all the makings of success: Time Travel, cute creatures and such expansive levels one could get lost in them. Of course I am being sarcastic. Now, I don't know what they were smoking, but it's no master piece, especially when compared to the original game.

Let's go through the 3 points:

The first, time travel, is just stupid. It does nothing for the gameplay that I can tell. I see no reason to go into the future or the past. Either way you have to stop Dr. Robotnic.

The second sign of success is cute creatures to destroy. Who doesn't want to kill cute things?

And lastly, the levels don't seem to be laid out in any logical way. It seems aimlessly put together. There are places where you wonder why they even bothered - just empty pockets for you to go into for no particular reason. I really got the feeling that some kid put the levels together with a level editor.

But the game is not all bad. It's Sonic for Christ's sake! It does retain the basic gameplay of the series. And, I like the flashy levels. Bottom line: Kind of fun, but more frustrating. Give me Sonic 1 any day. Or 2 or 3. Just not what I was expecting.